When I first set up my Github pages Octopress blog I followed those instructions to set Google Analytics tracking up – and it worked. However, in May Google Analytics somehow decided to move my account to Universal Analytics – maybe I had approved it without really knowing what it meant…
It is not only not right, it is not even wrong.
Actually, my Analytics dashboard did show some visits and hits, that’s why I didn’t notice the problem for a long time, however, I guess it only mentioned 10% of them! Anyway, after a long debugging session with Google Tag Assistant and Google Analytics Debugger I figured out the necessity to change the code, finally.
Shortly, you just need to change your
source/_includes/google_analytics.html to this code:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Concerning Github pages, it’s not necessary to include a call to set your domain to github.io any longer. It just works out of the box – what a progress! It is not only right, it is not even wrong now!